About this Show

The O Reilly Factor

News/Business. (2012) (CC)

NETWORK

DURATION
01:00:00

RATING

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Virtual Ch. 760 (FOX NEWS HD)

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
1280

PIXEL HEIGHT
720

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Hollywood 15, Lifelock 12, America 10, Us 8, Boston 5, Obama 4, Lookout 3, Cronkite 3, Chuck Norris 3, Ted Koppel 3, Lifelock 's Protection 3, Afghanistan 3, Leary 2, California 2, Utah 2, Jack Kennedy 2, Ben Affleck 2, Wayne 2, Brokaw 2, Sean Penn 2,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  FOX News    The O Reilly Factor    News/Business.  (2012)  (CC)  

    November 22, 2012
    1:00 - 2:00am PST  

1:00am
back to you, andy. >> thanks, tom. thanks to liz, bill, andrew, jim, tony, that does it for me. happy thanksgiving. >> bill: special edition of the o'reilly factor is on. tonight: >> the factor goes hollywood ♪ i love l.a. >> wayne was kind of like you he was an intimidator. >> me? >> sure. i think you would like him. >> what do guys like chilly ski grammar and chuck norris think about the state of the union right now. >> the democrats have gone further left and the republicans have gone to where the democrats were 40 years ago. >> bill: why have so many celebrities becoming so engaged in politics? >> the center is where we should be because all of us agree on a lot. >> is socialism the new craze among some pop celebrity icons. >> i am not a liberal. i was raised a socialist. my family is socialist. they were not liberals they were socialist.
1:01am
>> we collected some great hollywood interviews this evening and it all starts right now. >> once upon a time, you and i actually felt journalism was a calling. >> bill: i still think i'm doing something noble. [ laughter ] caution, you are about to intrer the no spin zone. the factor begins right now. hi, i'm bill o'reilly. thanks for watching the factor goes hollywood special. top story tonight. conservative hollywood. actors chuck norris, james con, kelsey grammer all have something to say about how things have changed in this country over the past few years. we begin with chuck norris. >> if we look to history, our great country and freedom are under attack. we're at a tipping point and quite possibly our country as we know it may be lost forever
1:02am
if we don't change the course our country is headed. >> bill: so you are saying, look, we are headed for armageddon in what way. >> i don't say armageddon. we need to go one direction. left, which would be socialism. or right, which would be people trying to make the money themselves. what has happened is the democrats have gone further left and the republicans have gone to where the democrats were 40 years ago. >> bill: what do you object to in the redistribution of wealth? >> the fact that they're affecting the small businesses in our country. and when you drive around the country and you see these stores that are closed, out of business, because of what is going on with our economy, that really tears my heart up. tax me, i don't care. >> bill: you don't care if you paid more taxes? >> i pay my hung gus amount of taxes. >> bill: sure, so do i. >> so do you. >> right. >> bill: do you want to pay 40, 45% which would take you income redistributors. >> if it would help, i would
1:03am
not mind it the thing is it won't help. the more money they get the more they will spend. >> bill: i have got to see it's doing some good. you have a foundation and i have a foundation. we give money privately to those we know. wounded warriors, fishers out. chuck, thanks for coming and good to see you again. >> thank you, bill. >> bill: would you call yourself a conservative now. >> i have become conservative on, you know, because of the position that we're in right now. >> financial position? things like that. >> certainly financial. you know, i have always said if you were going to wear badge sheriff. >> of the world? >> yes. the of the world then you better act like wyatt earth. >> that puts you in the minority in hollywood. >> i guess so. >> bill: fear on some actors that aren't as accomplished if you this f. they do say they are conservative they won't work. >> i'm being a hypocrite here because i don't like when actors talk politics and now i'm doing it i'm on the roirm
1:04am
show. >> bill: i'm forcing you to do it. why don't you like actors talking about politics. >> they haven't got political science degrees most of them. >> bill: it does get annoying when somebody barbra streisand political web site. people who need liberal people are the luckiest people in the world. >> i study her. >> now, in hollywood, also, we're not as tough as we used to be. i remember a movie called elder rad doe. you are a young guy. >> i think you better stand up. >> bill: john wayne, robert michigan elm and you. three tough guys. >> let's see if you can do that trick twice. >> wayne was like you. he was an intimidator. >> me? >> oh, sure, i think you are like him. >> work with -- >> no. no. >> don't give me to carlo. >> i will kill you. >> bill: back then in hollywood these were really tough guys. tough guys that came up the hard way and that showed
1:05am
through on the screen. same thing with you. >> bobby deyou have used to make fun of me. i would say act something a silly thing for a grown up to do. >> five families come after you. >> as i grow older, do i believe in art and i have studied and i didn't study how to be a tough guy. my neighborhood taught me how to do that. >> bill: that's right. but you brought that with you. >> it's part of me. the point is like i sing and dance but nobody remembers that. >> bill: anybody give you any jazz when you go home to l.a.? i saw mr. tremor in chicago a few weeks ago when miller and i were there. almost arrested. we escaped. but do you get any heat when you go back because you are a republic and conservativey guy? >> it's notse really heat. no. you know, i mean i have lively speculation about certain conversations. i have read some things about how pathetic it is to be a republic in hollywood. there is this little group called friends ever abe. >> you are a member of that. >> i'm a member of that group. there have been derisive
1:06am
comments made about that. >> nothing personal to you? >> not that i know about. >> i would have loved to have been on a set with you, ted dancin' and woody herrell sen. danson and harrelson, you can't get more left wing than those guys. >> pretty left wing. >> ratsenberger. here you got on the other side. >> ratsenberger used to be on the other side. >> as soon as he started watching the factor. >> there you go. >> did you talk politics back in the day? >> once in a while. i have always been kind of a small government guy and that's why i just -- i just think that the private sector and society can take care of itself better than the governmentt can. >> did they get heated because rhea pearlman another left wing woman. did they get heated? i like the conservative guys a little bit? throw a beer stein at you. >> they would say things this is the frazier. remember when they were having the recall on the governorship? somebody saidl maybe kelsey is going to run and i said i hope
1:07am
he does declare that he is running because i'm going to contributee a million dollars tomorrow to defeat him. >> bill: who said that? >> one of the producers of the show. were outnourished then. >> i am always outnourished. >> coming up. comedians denis leary and john loves the unleashed. >> i believe in strong military. and helping those below you. >> later, ted koppel and guy head to head over the topic of the popularity of the fox news channel. coming right back. >> announcer: 'tis the season of more-- more shopping, more dining out... and along with it, more identity theft. by the time this holiday season is over, an estimated 1.2 million identities may be stolen. every time you pull out your wallet, shop online or hit the road, you give thieves a chance to ruin your holiday.
1:08am
by the time you're done watching this, as many as 40 more identities may be stolen. you can't be on the lookout 24/7, but lifelock can. they're relentless about protecting your identity every minute of every day. when someone tries to take over your bank accounts, drain the equity in your home, or even tries to buy a car in your name, lifelock is on guard. and with lifelock's 24/7 alerts, they contact you by text, phone or email as soon as they detect suspicious activity in their network. lifelock wants you to be protected this holiday season, so they're giving you 60 days of protection risk-free. >> my years as a prosecutor taught me that you have to be proactive to protect yourself from crime, and that's especially true of identity theft. that's why i'm a member of lifelock. >> announcer: absolutely no one protects you better than lifelock, and they stand behind their protection with the power of their $1 million service guarantee. in fact, last year, lifelock
1:09am
protected over two million people during the holidays. and now they can do it for you. try lifelock's protection 60 days risk-free. call the number on your screen or go to lifelock.com/holidays. it only takes minutes to sign up. use promo code: holidays. order now and get a special holiday gift: a document shredder to keep sensitive documents out of the wrong hands... a $29 value, free! call the number on your screen or go online and let lifelock protect your identity for 60 days risk-free. because during the holidays, keeping your identity protected means keeping your family protected. >> bill: in the impact segment tonight. rob low, james kevin spacey big time performers who have become outspoken in the world of politics. we seat down recently with them. >> you say that hollywood is a one party town. we all know that it's a liberal-democrat town. is there a reason for that?
1:10am
>> i think that and i don't know what it says. it's not meant to be a judgment. but it seems to me like creative people end up being democrats and i think it's been that way forever. >> bill: is that because they feel sorry for the down trodden? i consider myself a creative person. i'm kind of a more traditional guy than liberal guy. >> let's face it. i think that democrats are very long on empathy. artists have to be long on empathy. republicans are long on logic. in my view. that might be oversimplifying. >> no i was trying to oversimplify. i think there is a pier pressure thing out there when you get into the business. everybody is one way, it's pretty much you have to the the to go that way. >> everybody can relate to growing up at the kitchen table and hearing your parents talk only one view. you did vote -- work for
1:11am
dukakis. he was a liberal guy. he got his butt kicked as you know is that because you were working for him by the way. >> can i pick them. i also worked for schwarzenegger and he won. >> bill: what happened to him. >> he took on the entrenched party system in california. >> bill: and got his butt kicked. he got terminated by him. they killed him. >> i don't think around knew what he was getting into. i really don't. i think he tried. >> i disagree. i have never met a person who can't -- who was less good at bringing or better at bringing people together than arnold. amazing at it. >> together. but he left office with 25% approval rating. it was just you guys who liked him you a and your pals out there. come on. >> it's a very divisive state. they say if you are a centrist in california, you get run over. >> that's for sure: all of us agree on a lot. >> you have become more conservative as you get older? >> without a doubt. i mean, i am a centrist.
1:12am
my son who is studying politics in high school had me take some online very complicated poll you couldn't have put me more in the middle than where i ended up. >> these pinheads in hollywood, do they care about the country's shape right now? are they aware that there is big changes? >> yeah. i think a lot of people in hollywood might care a little too much. and involve themselves with maybe things that are above their pay grade. >> hollywood was so enthusiastic about president obama. is there any buyer's remorse? >> i don't know. because i'm not a very hollywood guy. i hang out with comics. we will make fun of whoever. we don't care. >> bill: you don't hear that on the sitcom set. >> not a word. >> most comics are angry are you. >> not at all. nothing bothers me. i used to drink and i was a creepy guy. i was very short and angry and then. >> bill: then you got taller somehow. >> i got taller.
1:13am
i met the love of my life. i got married to nic, and it's a girl nic. >> i said nik and wait a minute. we were with him and then he drops that on. >> especially if you are irish catholic. marry a guy named bruno. >> no brunos in my life just nic. >> in show biz, because you are kind of a working class guy like me. >> you have no idea. i watched the show my whole life and the fact that you said you are working class like me, my heart skipped a little beat, bill. >> bill: that's true. you make it big, how do you look back? >> it takes way longer than everyone thinks. and people always say like what was your big break? it's hard to explain that you have had 20 to 30 big breaks that at the time you thought were the break. >> it's been a great day. >> are you in or are you out? it's not show friends it's show business. >> you go do jerry maguire and that's the biggest break you have in your life. >> that was a big break for you. >> i thought i was going to
1:14am
have to fire my mentor carry that in my head for a week. >> bill: have you been around for a while. very successful in the entertainment industry. i have never under stood why actors, producers, directors are so liberal generally speaking. i have had ache tours come up to me he in hollywood who aren't liberal and say i can't tell people how i feel because i might not work. charlton heston said look i used to be a liberal and i became a conservative and i never got invited to another party. my whole social contact list dried up. heston was huge. >> he was huge. >> bill: he paid a price, in his mind, for going over to the conservative side. >> i have never heard of a situation where somebody who had a particular it political belief didn't get a part? i think it's a bit of a myth. i will take it from a acting perspective. i think when you put yourself as actors have to do in other people's shoes. when you have to put on the
1:15am
costume that someone else has worn in heir -- their life. it's much harder to be prejudiced against them and not look at them in the sense that i'm not going to judge somebody. i'm going to try to understand who they are and what they're about. acting is. >> gained by your professional expertise in playing different characters. >> i don't think it's sympathy. for example, i can't judge the characters i play because it's for the audience to do. what i can try to do is to understand and embody what were they going through. how do they make the decisions they made? that, to me, is a more interesting way to approach them rather than saying this person is a villain and that person is. this it's not very interesting to play that anyway. we try to make it entertaining. i also think it's sometime a film i did called recount about the gore-bush election there are circumstance is where people make decisions or misjudgments or behave in such
1:16am
ways that you cannot actually believe that you couldn't write this stuff. because it's so outrageous. it's inherently funny. >> thanks for coming in mr. spacey. thanks very much. >> coming up. john loves the -- loves the has a few things to say about the comedy club. what i said and why it went viral which frank solid shocking to me.
1:17am
1:18am
1:19am
>> bill: welcome back to this special edition of the factor tonight. we go hollywood. our first unresolved problem segment. comedians jon lovitz collin quinn. we start with leary. why do you hate america. >> i love america. what are you talking about. >> you are a good boston boy. >> i'm a good boston boy. i love america. >> bill: you write this country, i assume that's america. including you and most of the people related to you by berthor marriage or both is populated by beings so blessed so long they have become almost completely immune any interest other than their own. >> true. >> bill: come on. >> how many people in just your daily walking around. >> bill: i don't walk around. i have people carry me. [ laughter ] >> well then you don't have to worry about it you are being
1:20am
carried around. don't you notice some of these morons walking around with their heads down texting or whatever they are doing while they are walking. >> bill: there is a lot of narcissism in our society. >> not everybody. not you, not me. i don't know about you, leary but almost everybody else. >> bill: you are making money. >> i don't walk around. >> you are making big money on your books. you are basically saying this country is doomed. we are out of it we are a bunch of pinheads. >> i'm not saying that we are out of it or that he we are doomed. it's still the greatest country on the face of the plan plan -- planet. we have a lot of dead weight. >> bill: put a percentage on it. how much is dead weight. >> dead weight? >> bill: yeah. >> i am going to base this on my own math. about 45%. >> bill: almost half the country. >> we have wide receivers making $8 million a year tweeting god because they dropped a pass. seriously?
1:21am
>> bill: are you a boston liberal guy? matt damon? are you ben affleck? are you those guys. >> no i'm not ben affleck. >> my guys in boston are not like you guys. >> what do you mean who is your guy in boston. >> bill: lots of guys. my guys aren't the liberal guys. >> well, like who? >> bill: i'm not going to embarrass them. anybody associated with me their whole life is over. >> i'm a jack kennedy. >> bill: jack kennedy. >> democrat. my parents are irish immigrants. obviously -- >> bill: you are a working class guy. i believe in strong military and helping those below you. and if you are balancing the budget and did a good job as president you should be able to sleep whoever you want. that's the jack kennedy approach to democracy. >> bill: libertarian democratic precincts. >> i guess so. >> bill: a lot of firefighters beat the hell out of you. because they are strong conservative blue collar. >> i have a lot of conservative views on a lot of things. >> bill: give me one. >> well, tattoos. you know, i basically i don't
1:22am
like tattoos unless you are a firefighter who has a tattoo that has to do with that or military guy. those are people that should have tattoos or keith richards. >> bill: don't like the spider on the neck. >> i don't like that. >> bill: wrong message. >> morons. >> bill: you know what we found? common ground leary. >> we did. >> we did. >> bill: america today, are we going down the tubes like the greeks and the row -- romans. >> sure we are. don't you think. >> bill: i'm asking you. >> we keep doing the same things and different results. debate used to work for our country doesn't work now. tribalism worked. greeks thinking. we're like a compilation of every empire as they fall. we are like the cosco of empire declines we have to combine every aspect of every empire. >> bill: everything everybody has done in the past. >> hue dogs it manifest itself. >> access. not it's like now, like even
1:23am
years ago people said we left all the manufacturing jobs. left the country. and it was all moving money. but now it's not even moving money. now it's not even moving the idea of money. people most people's job is talking about the future like money not even in the present tense. not even paper. >> bill: hedge fund guy nobody know what is that. >> right because it doesn't exist. trading the idea of somebody else doing. >> bill: they make all this money and they don't do anything. there is nothing there. >> yeah. >> bill: also you think we are culturally in decline because of things like the jersey shore, right? >> we have always been like that. jersey shore is san easy one to attack, of course, because the greeks, at least when they watch plays they weren't frivolous they were like watching nobility and all these deep thoughts. just watching like i say snooki losing her cell phone. >> bill: if you really look at what's going on jersey shore. it's almost like the greek plays in a way. because, remember, the greeks the mom and all of that if you just look, i don't know what they're doing. i never watch the jersey shore
1:24am
it frightens me. i thought it was a zombie thing at first. they are real people. >> it frightens you because we are irish. that's not part of the jersey shore. >> bill: i know italians just appalled by that. >> i know too. probably too close to them. >> bill: here is how bad the jersey shore thing. even the organized crime. mafia. hey, you are giving us a bad that i name. >> it's not that bad of a show. people are making that into the focal point when it symbolizes everything. they are not even like the italians when i was growing up. they don't even fight. they just get mad. they sit down. never see them -- is i sitting there i feel like we are not connected. start having these heart to hearts with each other. touchy feely new nation. >> i like west side story when they just attacked each other. do you watch like the factor in cable news? >> of course i do. >> bill: listen to talk radio to draw from your material? >> i do. i will prove to you i watch
1:25am
the factor. i think you have been very bullying to steve doocy lately. i think steve brings out something new from, teenage years where you just bully him. >> bill: i see steve as part of the decline of america. [ laughter ] this whole thing with obama saying the rich don't pay their taxes is [bleep] [ laughter ] and i voted for the guy and i'm a democrat. what a [bleep] the rich don't pay their taxes? let me tell you something, right? first they say to your dead brother, the united states of america you can do anything you. go for it so then you go for it and then you make it and everybody is like [bleep] you. >> bill: i think a lot of people feel the way that you do that very frustrating and all this class warfare but you are kind of disrespectful when you call barack obama the president of the united states a blanking blank. do you feel bad about doing that? >> no because you have to put it in context. i'm in my own comedy club and
1:26am
i'm doing a pod cast there the nature of pod cast is you are open and honest. that's also the nature of any comedy club. there is no language restriction. so you just basically say how you feel. i wouldn't say that now. you know, it's different in a club. i do standup my whole act. i make fun of everybody. you can't say e on television what you can say in the private club. >> i know that but here is the deal. we live in d a crazy now electronic world where everything everybody says is instantly on the internet and whipped around the world what i'm worried about is even though i'm sympathetic to what you are saying. i'm a little bit like you come from modest beginnings, work our way up and work hard. when we're told we're not paying our fair share that's kind of annoying. i'm simpatico but i want the presidency, the office to be respected. and i don't want people using those kind oft terms to describe any president. do you see my point?
1:27am
>> to me, i'm just a mouse compared to the president of the united states one, two you are in a comedy club and people talk this way all the time. it's- nothing. if you have ever been to a club what i said was nothing. i also said it's amazing what he achieved in his own life. that didn't make headlines. what i said that went viral which frankly is shocking to me. to me who cares what i think? >> bill: anything like that now they are t not going to take it into context either. the reaction to you. >> well, yeah. i think that's part of the problem, too. all medians, people say just because you are a median on a comedian in a comedy club that means you are joking around? the answer is yes. >> bill: plenty more this evening. ted koppel and guy man do a
1:28am
mano. >> define your beef with me and fox news. >> bill: it's the tv edition of the factor goes hollywood. and we hope you stay tuned to that report. >> announcer: 'tis the season of more-- more shopping, more dining out... and along with it, more identity theft. by the time this holiday season is over, an estimated 1.2 million identities may be stolen. every time you pull out your wallet, shop online or hit the road, you give thieves a chance to ruin your holiday. by the time you're done watching this, as many as 40 more identities may be stolen. you can't be on the lookout 24/7, but lifelock can. they're relentless about protecting your identity every minute of every day. when someone tries to take over your bank accounts, drain the equity in your home, or even tries to buy a car in your name,
1:29am
lifelock is on guard. and with lifelock's 24/7 alerts, they contact you by text, phone or email as soon as they detect suspicious activity in their network. lifelock wants you to be protected this holiday season, so they're giving you 60 days of protection risk-free. >> my years as a prosecutor taught me that you have to be proactive to protect yourself from crime, and that's especially true of identity theft. that's why i'm a member of lifelock. >> announcer: absolutely no one protects you better than lifelock, and they stand behind their protection with the power of their $1 million service guarantee. in fact, last year, lifelock protected over two million people during the holidays. and now they can do it for you. try lifelock's protection 60 days risk-free. call the number on your screen or go to lifelock.com/holidays. it only takes minutes to sign up. use promo code: holidays. order now and get a special holiday gift: a document shredder to keep sensitive documents out of the wrong
1:30am
hands... a $29 value, free! call the number on your screen or go online and let lifelock protect your identity for 60 days risk-free. because during the holidays, keeping your identity protected means keeping your family protected. >> bill: in our first personal story tonight. ted koppel not a big fan of cable news. i thinks it has harmed journalism in america. i had to convince mr. koppel otherwise. so why don't you define for the vast factor audience your beef with me and fox news. what's your beef? >> i don't have a beef with you. i really don't. let me modify that a little bit. i think there are times when you are what's the phrase a bold. >> fresh. >> bill: piece of humidity. >> -- humanity.
1:31am
>> sometimes a little too bold. too fresh, sometimes a little too intolerant of letting people to complete an answer. bill does that offend you? >> does it offend me? it offends me when you are rude. it offends me when you ride over people, which you have a tendency to do. >> bill: i only do it when they filibuster or when they lie as barney frank did that one time. i don't do it when somebody is sincerely trying to answer my question. it's not like it used to be. >> 15 years ago there was a crying need for a network that focused more on conservative issues. fox has done that. msnbc has now come along and tried to provide not because it you saw the need for ideological balance but because it saw the balance sheet of fox news. >> bill: butt kicked. big difference between fox news and m b. do you know what that.
1:32am
>> tell me. >> bill: do you know what it is. >> i'm asking you to tell me what it is. >> bill: you concede you don't know what it is. >> i don't know what it is. >> we do five hours of hard news. they don't do one hour. it's let's push the democratic agenda from sign-on to sign-off. this is a news agency here fox news. >> i don't think anyone is going to be confused as to the ideological belief of most of the people who appear on fox. >> bill: i think that's grossly unfair to the hard news reporters. okay? if you look at our bureau system and the people we have reporting. the network is more traditional. i think that's a fairer term than the other network news. and they give weight to people, their commentators and the people they hire. if you look at all of the journalists and we can tick them down if you want. rather, brokaw, cronkite. they are all left wing guys. all of them. and you know that.
1:33am
>> hold on. i would argue that back in the day you didn't know what cronkite was. >> if you were in iowa you didn't know. but if you were working at cbs news you damn well knew because i worked there. >> you may have known what he was off camera but you didn't know what he was on camera. >> bill: but decisions were made about personnel, story coverage, and point of view by cronkite, brokaw, and rather. who were committed left wingers. >> and koppel. you might as well add into the mix. >> bill: i think you were just in a daze all the time. i don't think you really interfered that much. i was at abcened a i heard the scuttlebutt but you. you about you. jennings didn't like all that ideology. he that's why i didn't bring his name up. >> i would rather you have criticized me because your compliments are more damaging than. >> bill: i have got to tell the truth. >> bill, what is it that you think that i have said about the network or written about
1:34am
the network? >> bill: you think that we have corrupted the sanctity of fair news coverage. >> i think -- >> -- that's what i think. >> i think that i ideological coverage of the news be it the right or the left has created a political reality in this country which is bad for america. i think it's made it difficult if not impossible. reach across the compromise. if we can't do that, bill, we are going to be and we have been, i think, for the last few years. in a terrible situation in this country where politically. blaming me and the fox news channel don't have enough guts country by compromising, they don't deserve to be there.
1:35am
can't be on top for as long as the fox news channel has been on top and sell a product that's inferior or dishonest. it's impossible in this country. so therefore i want you to reevaluate our network. watch it a little bit more and then we will talk about last word. >> last word is how many people are watching the fox network at 10:00 in the morning or 2:00 in the afternoon or 3:00 in the afternoon, roughly? >> i don't know how many people. >> you should you work for the organization. >> bill: we have millions of people watching us sign sign on. >> but you do not have millions of people watching at 10:00 in the morning or noon or 1:00 in the afternoon. the millions of people are watching you, bill. >> bill: and they are better for it. >> the millions of people are watching those of you with a particular point of view. >> bill: that's the way the country works. that's the free marketplace. >> that's the free marketplace. and i'm perfectly content to leave it on that note it's a
1:36am
business. it's operating on that business. you and i felt journalism was a calling. >> i still think that i'm doing something noble. [ laughter ] ed asner and roseanne barr never shy about their political views enter the no spin zone. >> you are an old time socialist. >> not old time i think i'm a present time. >> do you believe that president obama is a socialist? >> no, god no. >> socialism in hollywood. you don't want to miss this one. moments away.
1:37am
1:38am
>> continuing now special factor goes hollywood. special unresolved problem segment tonight. have some very provocative conversations with rosanne barr and ed asner about why
1:39am
they are socialists. let's trace your political evolution. >> oh-oh. were you always a liberal? >> i am not a liberal. i hate liberals. >> bill: you hate them. >> i hate them just like you do. >> bill: i don't hate liberals. >> i don't hate them either. i'm like, you know, i was raised a socialist. my family are socialists. they are not liberals. they were socialists. there is a difference. >> you were raised in a socialist family in utah. >> yes. >> bill: you were the only one in history because utah -- not really known for that. >> there wasn't many. >> in your family you were -- and you adhere to the socialistic point of view? >> well, i'm for solutions. i'm for rebranding things. >> bill: rebranding. >> everything is about branding. and you know, like instead of saying liberal, or, you know, anything like that. or socialist, i just say peoplist. like agitating and just trying to keep getting divided so that he we never really solve
1:40am
any problems. >> bill: you are one of the big agitators. is this a new years resolution here. >> do i have a new years resolution stop agitating blowing and lose weight. >> bill: ronald reagan, you don't like him. >> i don't like him. i don't like him. no. >> bill: what did he do wrong. >> he cut all the social programs and destroyed the entire, you know, infrastructure of the whole social safety net fork working class people. >> bill: i didn't really see that he did that he was certainly a self-reliance guy and a smaller government guy. >> no he didn't, bill. he sold our country out piece by piece to the chinese. he made everything for sale. >> >> bill: that was 25 years ago. >> we have a nice country where everything was working just fine until that guy got in and there started selling everything out from under us. >> bill: why aren't we speaking chinese if he sold us out to the chinese. >> i told my son if he would learn chinese i would buy him
1:41am
a lamborghini. >> bill: that's a little off topic. i don't know if i'm buying that he sold us out to the chinese. >> everybody knows that everybody on the left. >> bill: besides sean penn who else knows it. >> sean penn? do you know what i want to do, bill? charity farm. that's an idea i had. >> bill: give the food to the poor people. >> yeah. >> bill: i would help you with that do you know how much money we give away on the factor selling our gears and gizmos we give millions of dollars away. >> i will take you up on that. that is a good way -- my book roseannearchie living your belief. >> you get your charity farm going, we will help you out on it. >> bill: now, you are an old time socialist, a long time. >> not a long time. i think i'm a present time. >> bill: do you believe that president obama is a socialist? does he -- >> -- no, god know. >> are you happy with him. >> not that much. i don't think -- i tend to read paul krugman a lot.
1:42am
>> bill: that's a problem right there. >> i knew you would be pleased. >> bill: he would be. like dictates. he should have done so much more in terms of the bank loans and in terms of the reinviteddization the money. it should have been a bigger kick start. >> bill: he wasn't aggressive enough in managing the economy to you? >> that's right. >> >> bill: do you think is he a phony? >> i don't know yet. >> how did you act when ben laden went down? >> i think that too many people regard it as a panacea. he wasn't even wanted by the fbi for 9/11. >> bill: a bunch of other crimes. they were among them. the 9/11 atrocities. >> the point is everybody thinks that well, 9/11 is now erased. we got bin laden. >> bill: no, i don't think everybody feels that. >> i do. >> bill: there is a lot of danger out. >> there a lot of people do. >> bill: that's funny because liberal guys like you and you know barack obama has been aggressive. you know, the drones going in
1:43am
there blowing these guys to hell. >> that's too aggressive for my money. >> bill: even though you get a chiefdom a bad guy. >> i don't want us there. barack obama came into was o. the one mark on him that i had from the get-go was that we're going to finish it in afghanistan. i don't think we need afghanistan. i would like us to get out of there. nobody has ever won in afghanistan why can dance and crow at the russians getting their ass whipped there but we're getting the our own thing in our own way. >> bill: you want us out of there. the other thing i like about you you are not mean guy. you and i are politically apart as ever but we can have a few laughs. you are lou grant for me. i'm like working for you in the newsroom. >> you're fired. >> did i look like donald trump? >> you're fired. >> when you were doing the moore show did you discuss politics with the crew? was there a lot of stuff? mary tyler moore is a big fan she watches every night.
1:44am
>> you are hedging. >> why hedge? how do i look? >> mary become much more conservative of late. i was the most outspoken liberal. >> bill: do you know rush women law calls me ted baxter i consider that a compliment. >> never fear when you have been doing this as long as i have you learn to play it down to the wire. >> he was the -- i ever knew. >> you climbed 10 floors occupy the fire escape. >> i lost count. >> bill: you are honest guy and patriot. thank you. >> i enjoy you. >> you got spunk. [ laughter ] >> well, -- >> i hate spunk. >> bill: on deck, actor kurt cammeron and tim tebow talk about the importance of god in their lives. later, cheers star john ratsenberger is on a crusade to get americans back to work. >> tinkering spirit is gone too. we don't allow our children to
1:45am
go out and play. when is the last time you saw a child building a tree house.
1:46am
1:47am
1:48am
>> bill: he second personal story segment tonight, how important is faith? in every day life. tim tebow actor turned activist. very important. they stopped by to explain why. you want to put them up as the foundation of america. they might go back to what their philosophy was. here is high beef with that the pilgrims were kind of intolerant people. they weren't embracing the pursuit of happiness for everybody. it was their way or the highway. >> actually, what i learned, they weren't intolerant in the sense that king james was. when they were in england. they wanted to live out principles that they believed in their heart were true and right that would bring blessing not only to them and their family. but to everyone else. you don't force it you live it out. >> bill: you were a hedonist, for example, you were going to get put in a rack. they had the little rack thing there and remember roger williams got to get out there and go to rhode island because he didn't subscribe to the
1:49am
pilgrims what they were doing. the pilgrims mored into the puritans and they had the salem witch trials. the pilgrim movement wasn't an oppression from the very beginning but they did have problems accepting other people's points of view. >> well, i think, no group of people is perfect. for sure. >> bill: except the factor and the factor staff. >> okay. but, what i love though was the fact that i could actually reach back in time in order to get some wisdom about how to move forward in the future for my kids. i thought i knew hot pilgrims were. and what i discovered was, these guys are in very many ways my heros because they had enough foresight to know that we would get off track one day. >> bill: what was their headline? give me their headline. >> they left us a set of principles and a secret sauce so to speak in the form of
1:50am
180 tons of granite, the very top of that statue. her name is faith. and faith is the very core of that statue state of massachusetts. works all those wonderful things. character and courage and liberty and blessing for all people. >> they basically base their philosophy on faith that gave them a sign post on how to live. and you want americans to know what that was kind to try to get back to that last question. your pinhead hollywood friends give you a hard time for being a conservative guy who is kind of fundamentalist in his thinking? do they give you a hard time. >> sure they give me a hard time. at the end of the day i want to be a man of conviction and i want to speak my heart and my mind with compassion toward people. >> bill: dodo you debate them? is it a good natured thing or do they shun you. >> i always try to be good natured. if people want to call me names they can. i'm not going it resort to that. >> bill: here is what i want to know.
1:51am
i played football at a much lower level than you. in pro-fiivel they have christian athletes like you but it's a secular society. there is a loot of crazy guys doing a lot of strip clubs every night. drinking and all this kind of business. does that contact in the locker room at all your lifestyle as opposed to theirs? >> to be able to influence someone or to have a group of guys come together to have a successful team and to be together all the time every day for, you know, a year and longer together, you have to have a -- find a common ground and that common ground for us is football. and when they realize that i go out there and i work as hard as i can every day they have a respect for me for how i play. and then in that respect gross to like. that like grows to love. and then they will play for you. if you walk the walk, then when you say something it's going to mean so much more. i think that's how i try to approach it. on the field every day. >> bill: do you ever get offended by their behavior? i mean the ones who do not believe the way you believe? >> very rarely because we all
1:52am
have things that we're trying to work on. >> bill: so you don't judge? >> absolutely not. because i'm not perfect. i'm never going to be. that's the great thing about living the christian life and live by faith is you i are trying to get better every day and you try to improve. >> bill: you know he there are some evangelicals who witness. >> absolutely. that is great. but but the greatest way by witness is by walking that straight and narrow and also realizing that you are going to mess up. that's what grace is for. we are going to fall but you have got to get back up and trying to improve. it's not i do everything right. i'm going to screw up and mess up. i'm going to get back and get after it and try to do better the next day. >> do you pray for victory? >> you know, i honestly does think he cares how we play on the field more than win or lose but our hearts on the field. on the field i'm trying to play for the glory of god but also give everything i have and win and compete and so i think more than just win or losing, i think he cares about
1:53am
where our hearts are when we are playing. >> bill: so you don't say before the game with the dallas cowboys hey god let me win by at least 10 points here. [ laughter ] >> to cover the spread. >> bill: i used to pray and this is absolutely true. please don't let me break anything. i don't want -- i want to keep my head or arm intact. i would pray for the safety not only pee but the team. let the chips fall where they may. i think more than anything i pray that some how through this game i will be able to honor him and be able to inspire. >> you can do that by your fame. >> just by how i play. >> thank you. >> thanks for having me on. god bless you. >> b new crusade to get americans back to work. we'll be back with that report. >> announcer: 'tis the season of more-- more shopping, more dining out... and along with it, more identity theft.
1:54am
by the time this holiday season is over, an estimated 1.2 million identities may be stolen. every time you pull out your wallet, shop online or hit the road, you give thieves a chance to ruin your holiday. by the time you're done watching this, as many as 40 more identities may be stolen. you can't be on the lookout 24/7, but lifelock can. they're relentless about protecting your identity every minute of every day. when someone tries to take over your bank accounts, drain the equity in your home, or even tries to buy a car in your name, lifelock is on guard. and with lifelock's 24/7 alerts, they contact you by text, phone or email as soon as they detect suspicious activity in their network. lifelock wants you to be protected this holiday season, so they're giving you 60 days of protection risk-free. >> my years as a prosecutor taught me that you have to be proactive to protect yourself from crime, and that's especially true of identity theft.
1:55am
that's why i'm a member of lifelock. >> announcer: absolutely no one protects you better than lifelock, and they stand behind their protection with the power of their $1 million service guarantee. in fact, last year, lifelock protected over two million people during the holidays. and now they can do it for you. try lifelock's protection 60 days risk-free. call the number on your screen or go to lifelock.com/holidays. it only takes minutes to sign up. use promo code: holidays. order now and get a special holiday gift: a document shredder to keep sensitive documents out of the wrong hands... a $29 value, free! call the number on your screen or go online and let lifelock protect your identity for 60 days risk-free. because during the holidays, keeping your identity protected means keeping your family protected. >> bill: welcome back to the special edition of the factor.
1:56am
>> bill: welcome back to the special edition of the factor. in the back of the book segment tonight. with the unemployment rate at about 8%. oots of americans are despentpt to fbild jobs. after john rassen burger feels his pain. let's caugedi limb theooots crusadd . where are the jobs? >> there are plenty of jobs but cad eoyat d workd ooots a >> bill: like what? >> carps terse, lathe operators, e openttoor. >> bill: tecreical jobs. you saw the people working at $7 at h irat tft a cat and i'm sure it goes against yours. woyreackaybilg toyat eduration uld ptach some s how to do these. >> theypik td to, 25 yeaoroyou . >> we b wl etntt% toyat philosophy everybody has to go to college. somebodyd
1:57am
colsenbild. y has to build the ceiling before they could go to re pen >> bill: they won't be called the geek squad. >> cad entts ethul e tntbilbiln pehe pubeecackectple%.or the jobs. >> by 2020 there will be 20 m? t l etoyisoss the board. >> anybody that uses tools. >> so as the sd viophntt a g sas to cftnaoy a bwintttackhould be skilled labo.
1:58am
things that can fix. >> bill: they aren't going to
1:59am
take the $7 jobs. would these kids respond to it? >> somebody has to respond to it. somebody that is to repair the turbines and that supply the electricity that to run the computers. if you go to center to america.org. you have a booklet that gives you ideas as an average citizen to go to factories to get to the media and stop denigrati people that work with their hands. >> bill: center for america.org. people might go in there and get an idea what they might be able to do. >> there are thousands of jobs available but people have to step up and learn those skills. kids graduate without the ability to read a ruler. >> bill: that is true. john, nice to see you again. thank you for taking an interested. >> bill: that is this edition of the factor. thanks very much for watch

Terms of Use (10 Mar 2001)